5 Essential Steps For An Office Design Project
It is common knowledge that the success of any office design project is often due to proper planning. Whether it’s relocating a business, building a new head office or simply refurbishing existing spaces, a project requiring the purchase of office furniture necessarily follows a series of recurrent steps. Here is an overview of the 5 important stages of any office design project :
1. TAKE THE DECISION TO INVEST IN AN OFFICE ENVIRONMENT
The reasons that can push a company to invest in its work environment are numerous. Here are some the major triggers for starting a project:
- The growth of the company causes a need for additional space
- The company wants to review its corporate image and modernize its work environment
- The organization wants to attract new talent and retain existing talent
- The company has just completed a merger or acquisition
- The company wants to invest in real estate capital
Once the decision to invest is made, the customer must surround himself with the necessary professionals. While some projects are managed directly by the client, most projects require the hiring of an architect, a designer, or a project manager who will accompany the client throughout the whole process. The role of the supplier is then to listen to the needs of the customer and to support the various collaborators mandated for all the questions related to office furniture.
2. THE DEFINITION OF THE CUSTOMER’S NEEDS AND THE SPECIFICATION OF THE FURNITURE
Definition of the needs
In general, we can imagine this step as a funnel: at the beginning, all the options conceivable and little by little, the needs are more specifics. The provider will act primarily as a strategist and a consultant. Thanks to his expertise, the will be able to suggest you solutions based on your needs. In the beginning, it is mainly a matter of analyzing the plans of future locals and agreeing on the division of space. The provider then further qualify the customer’s needs by asking questions that are more specific. Here are some examples:
- Will users need collaboration areas?
- What will be the portion of open space vs closed office?
- Will the workstations be assigned or freely accessible?
- Does the customer want to purchase height-adjustable workstations?
- Will users need a lot of storage?
- What are the IT solutions with which users work?
The next stage is then to specify the furniture. Concretely, it is for time to determine the exact dimensions of the workstations, to choose among the types of finishes (choice of fabric, choice of materials for work surfaces, etc.). Normally, a technical specialist is involved in each project to help the client and his partners in the specification of the furniture. You need to be a good listener to be a good supplier in our field or work.
3. THE FINAL SELECTION OF THE PRODUCT AND THE PURCHASE ORDER
There are several factors that can be taken into account when selecting the final products and solutions. Here are a few:
- Budgetary differences
- The quality and durability of the product
- Is the product locally made?
- The recommendations of the mandated partners
- The aesthetics of the product
It is important to make sure to compare equivalent products as some details may have a big impact on the prices offered. Once the order is processed, it goes into production with the various manufacturers. Each order is unique and production lead times can be considerable in the industry. For this reason, it is essentiel to consider furniture as early as possible in your process.
4. DELIVERY AND INSTALLATION OF THE PROJECT
The success of any office design project often lies in the quality of the operational process and the execution. Each milestone has its own set of challenges. A dedicated and highly qualified project manager is normally require to take care of the following points:
- Supervising the installation team and prevent installation errors
- Ensuring the cleanliness and the quality of the work of the installation team
- Ensuring the reception of the product on the site
- Making sure to meet pre-established deadlines
A certified and experienced installation team can save many headaches and can make a considerable difference in your project.
5. AFTER SALES SUPPORT
Once the installation is completed, some deficiencies can sometimes occur. The quality control team must take care of these deficiencies and prevent them. The goal is to accompany the customer to the very end of the project and beyond to make the final adjustments. It is also important to ensure that users receive adequate training in the use of products. Ideally, it is important to maintain a quality relationship with customers, to remain available and to keep them abreast of the latest industry trends.
As mentioned before, each project is unique and the role of everyone varies according to the scope and nature of the project. From decision making to the installation of your project, Groupe Focus is able to support you in your project. Contact us!